Saturday, July 31, 2010

Very happy being out

Like last year at this time, we are enjoying the start of eating a lot from the garden. This week we've been eating lots.

Starting:
  • sugar snap peas, regular peas
  • yellow beans
  • kohlrabi
  • yellow zucchini
  • baby carrots
  • apples
  • cherry tomatoes (from upside down yellow pear tomato)
Eating  in full swing:
  • strawberries
  • raspberries
  • rocket, lettuce and spinach
  • cucumber
  • small peppers like chili and mini bell
  • edible flowers (like nasturtium)
  • red currants
  • basil, dill, oregano, chives, rosemary, sage, and mint
This last week we have finally started to have some serious sun, and thing are growing very quickly. Mike and I continue to pull up grass in the front yard in prep for pumpkins and zucchini up there next year, and I have been loving my clothesline. However, the biggest deal is the living space.

I love to be outside. Swimming at the river, camping, canoeing etc. are my favorite activities next to gardening. In the summer my yard is my living and dining room, and I go there to rest and relax.

This summer the girls are doing a lot of the yard work. Leora hand waters from the rain barrel and prunes. Anwyn does the mowing. Both of them help me with picking. Their work gives me more time to relax and play in the yard.  Now that the rain is less, I am out all the more. My only sad bit is that we still can't get three dry days together and Mike and I really want to get the metal roof on the house.  I also want to re-paint the deck as it bubbled where it was rained on when the paint was wet last year. We have managed to do some smaller projects. Mike, Brad and Anwyn trimmed a tree, and I have been doing lots of picking and freezing (24 cups of raspberries a few days ago).

The girls finished swimming lessons yesterday and we celebrated with a short trip to the river. I also hope to get in an overnight camping trip next week before Teela and family come to visit on Thursday. Jodi and Brad are here until Friday, so there will be no roofing anytime soon (we are still missing the supplies yet anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment