Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Worse Vices than Vegetables

In the midst of chaos, the garden carries on. My flowers sustain me.Our last two weeks have seen (links are related pictures) much need for sustenance in some form. We have been dealing with
  • no running water down the kitchen sink for 11 days straight because of the plumbing disaster and resulting mold
  • violent illness of all family members except me (nothing like vomit and diarrhea with no sink)
  • 4 house guests for 8 days (some of whom had the illness)
  • re-roofing the house
  • Mike's trip to a wet Alberta
  • me starting a brand new job


Wendy, you say, how did you carry on in this madness?  The answer, I was watching my fruit, vegetables and flowers grow. 


Currently eating
  • more cucumbers than we ever had (Mike's already made 11 jars)
  • tomatoes
  • beans (yellow and climbing)
  • peppers
  • strawberries
  • potatoes
  • corn
  • all herbs
  • chard
  • zucchini (I've been able to freeze down so much zucchini that my husband has made me promise no more)
  • beets
  • kohlrabi (hard hit by caterpillars - I'll need a net next year)
  • carrots
  • apples
This week I made bruchetta, Mexican soup, roasted vegetables, salads, raita etc. entirely from our own yard. Mike will make Pizza that way Friday using our tomatoes and spices for the sauce. I've also made great food featuring our food. We used the apples and zucchini in so many things, and I'll start using rhubarb again soon too. Yes, I know it is crazy to cook so much with guests, illness, no sink and roofing.  But you have to cope somehow, and there are worse vices than vegetables.

3 comments:

  1. The bruchetta was amazing. Too bad we don't have a significant number of onions to bulk it up. We did well for basil this year, but I think we still need more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a rotten week! Hope the plumbing issues (both kinds :0) are fixed soon! Yah to the vegetation for keeping you sane. It's amazing how nature really does have such a calming effect on us, doesn't it? Tell me about your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working as the Coordinator of Curriculum and Instruction. That means I am responsible for what is taught and how grades 6-12 in my school division.

    ReplyDelete