Friday, July 15, 2011

Happy Frenzy

Well the garden is in full production just in time for me to leave it and go camping.  We have a ton of company coming to visit starting on the 24th, so we are trying to get as much done as we can before then.  Here's the guest list:
  • Teela, Peff, Merlin and Viola (staying in Liz's suite for a month)
  • Heidi N. (5 days ish)
  • My dad (? extended stay of a couple weeks)
  • Douglas (3 days)
  • Maybe Greta, Gus and Max for a week and/or Jodi and Brad
Seem a bit overwhelming?  We think so too, and the stress is so much we had to leave town (we are actually excited to see people, but have planned some camping in this time slot for a long time).

We have been very busy with our summer projects this week.  Anwyn had basketball camp, and Leora ran her own dance camp using materials from the library to teach herself. In last few days we finished the repairs to the walls in the girls' rooms so we are ready for new windows, and we repainted their rooms and moved them back upstairs. Today, the girls and I went Saskatoon berry picking after camp in the am. I froze 26 cups of berries and and have that amount again ready for Mike to use in canning tonight when he gets home from work. Saturday and Sunday I'll do the packing for camping and Mike will build a rack on the trailer to carry the canoe (also after work - he's crazy.  I like the relaxed lifestyle that all James girls prefer).

Naturally, the whole garden is ripe in time for our departure.  The strawberries are producing a handful a day now, but the raspberries are started, and so are the cherries. The rhubarb, beans, kohlrabi, greens (lettuces, spinach, chard and beet greens) and cucumbers are still going, but we've added peas and zucchini.

Usually Anna would come berry picking with me and take some garden produce off my hands, but she's in France, so I was over at her house mowing today.  I did some maintenance on her deck boxes and now have more greens and spices to use up. What a great problem to have!

All this work has left little time for yard sitting, but I am always able to squeeze in the moments. I am particularly enjoying an old fountain of Gary's that Liz gave me, my delphiniums and my lilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment