Monday, April 2, 2012

Let out

I have a cat, Pippin, who would really like to go outside. She sits by the door, bursts outside on a sunny day if you aren't careful, and will suffer the indignity of a harness just to be be able to go out. This week, I felt a lot like Pip.

I have been contenting myself with my grow table. A weekend ago I planted the rest of my various squashes, which have now mostly come up, and thinned my tomatoes. I am always excited as as the new plants start coming up, because I can just feel the potential of each plant (view grow table album).  But nothing comes anywhere close to when the weather lets me out for the first time.

Last Saturday was a sunny and warm by late March in Saskatchewan standards. Mike was at work, the girls were off helping at Greta and Gus' and I had the sunny day all to myself. I racked the front yard, cleaned some of my leaves off my beds and examined everything.

I found bulbs peeking up, ground covers greening, trees budding - well, just about everything a happy Wendy needs.  I literally bounced about the yard picking up sticks.  The weather was so warm (about 14 degrees C) that I dried 4 loads of laundry on the lines. I also ate lunch outside, read a novel in the sunshine and dug through all my pots.  In short, I was finally let out after a long winter inside.

6 comments:

  1. I want to make sure people realize that you come with the added benefit of not bringing mice into the house after a frisky afternoon out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely day, Wen! I hope you get many more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy.
    I have nearly spent hours reading this blog, and there is still so much to go. I am so grateful that you are this person to do all these things and then lovingly, carefully, thoughtfully document them. AND I am so glad I know you!!! I will do much more reading and when I am done I will ask you any questions that may remain, although I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be none.

    I am making a concerted effort to raise a successful garden this year. In previous years I have left this to Jeff, but a food shift has happened in me and I want to have more control over our diet. There are a couple of things working against me. 1) I have a giant belly that will make seeding difficult :) and 2) this is a brand new yard for us so soils are unknown and Jeff and I spend much time trying to figure out the sun's expected path. The good thing is that our backyard is south facing, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the heat.

    Thanks again,
    You're welcome for the blog-letter.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make the rest of us commenters seem like mashed turnip. That must be some sort gardening related skill... Or maybe that's cooking...

      Delete
    2. Hi Kyla,I am delighted that things I have been writing might help you. I blog for my own record and to share my gardening passion with a few friends who share it. I always appreciate your reflective nature and willingness to share things you are thinking about - I think they have led to the longest comment/blog-letter my blog has ever seen.

      Delete
    3. It just means that a talk to much... :)
      I have been planning these last couple of days and have been using your research. Thank you again for making my process easier.

      Delete