Thursday, May 17, 2012

Planting and flowers

After complaining last week about nothing blooming, my yard is already full of flowers.  Mike took a few pictures for me early in the week, and we'll lake more this weekend as we plant. This album gives a good sense of the start of the week, though.

In the last couple nights I have been planting a variety of annuals and veggies throughout the front yard.  I co-plant my veggies and fruit there, and love to disguise my vegetables with flowering items. I put in 4 types of tomatoes, 6 types of peppers, a variety of squashes and some onions. Mike seeded spinach for me, and it is already up. We are also eating rhubarb and asparagus (Mike made a great risotto with the asparagus Wednesday).

Currently blooming perennials and vegetables:
  • 7 types of tulips
  • Crocus 
  • Grape hyacinths
  • Poppies (yellow)
  • Apple tree
  • Cherry tree (2)
  • Daffodils
  • Flox (pink and purple)
  • Johnny jump ups (think wild violets)
  • Strawberries
  • Elephant Ears
  • Snowcrop
  • Columbine
All this planting and blooming is very heartening. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, but should be dry by Sunday, when the main garden in planted. Luckily Mike got all the tilling done yesterday, so we'll be ready despite the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment