Sunday, July 22, 2012

Loving my yard for 100 posts

We've been home a week from Teela's and I have spent every minute I could in my yard.  We've been replacing our deck with a patio (I will do a post on that as soon as I have pictures) and I have been enjoying the full feeling of summer in the yard.

My favorite thing is eating fresh things moments after they are picked and storing food to eat in the winter. Today I picked the last of the saskatoons and froze four cups of cherries - we are sad because all the rain killed all the saskatoons at the U-Pick. I also froze 8 cups of raspberries and made the rest into fruit salad. Today we ate peas, tomatoes and beans from the garden, but we are also eating kohlrabi, cucumbers and all greens and spices this week. Mike just made homemade pesto and cherry sauce. All the picking and fresh food actually fills me up emotionally and physically.

I have 7 types of lilies and 4 types of roses blooming right now, and they are my favorites of this iteration of the yard. My astilbe and white clematis will bloom in the next couple of days, and both look like lace to me. Mike and I have taken to sitting out in the evenings listening to the fountain and looking at all the flowers. Today I bought a couple more lanterns so we can see well at night.

Currently blooming
  • 4 types of ground covers
  • 7 types of lilies
  • Lavender 
  • Sewell
  • Hosta
  • Bee balm
  • Comfrey
  • 3 types of Bell flower
  • 2 types of yarrow
  • Himalayan orchid
  • Cone flower
  • Beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squashes, peas, eggplant and spices 
This is my 100th post, and today I enjoyed looking back to see how far the yard has come. I mostly keep this blog as a record.  For example, I know I fought with cabbage moths for 4 years but my current cover appears to be working. But more importantly, the blog is a celebration for me. It notes the satisifaction (and occasionally joy - I don't feel things very strongly very often) I get loving my yard.

1 comment:

  1. The (relatively) mosquito free season we are having certainly helps me enjoy our evenings outside.

    The pictures of the deck will come soon... Honest.

    ReplyDelete