Saturday, March 6, 2010

First leaves

Well, the things planted last week are staring to sprout. In particular the tomatoes (which I thinned today) are as much as 4 cm. Also fast of the mark are rocket and spinach. Things like cilantro and basil are just green specks and there is no sign of pepper. View the album to see the progress.

It has been lovely, warm weather the winter retreat has started. Today I shovelled 35 cm of snow off of the deck and went out there to sit and imagine spring. I also popped into the greenhouse where it was tee-shirt weather. Too bad it doesn't stay warm at night. . .

I was throwing out the last of the sprout peas today. We need the room for the other things we are sprouting. Since it was so nice in the greenhouse I put the mat of peas in the ground level planting bed. I expect the shock of the sub freezing to kill them tonight, but thought it would be interesting to see what happens.

I always get excited as the weather warms and the melting starts.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited for the warm weather too. Ian and I went for a long walk yesterday and really enjoyed the sunshine. Quick ques: We were cleaning our pantry and noticed we had about 7 big milk jugs with lids we had been saving for your greenhouse. Can you still use them? Or should we recycle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go ahead and recycle them. Thanks for the offer. Now that we have the huge blue barrel in there, the jugs we have are still there, but somewhat superfluous.

    ReplyDelete