Sunday, June 13, 2010

Gratitude for a Second Day of Sun

I had the last of the wisdom teeth I need to get out yanked on Friday, so I was at home in bed to see the return of shafts of sunlight about 3 pm. From that point on this weekend it has been at least sunny with cloudy periods - glorious!

In a way, our experience with the sun reminds me of when the girls where babies. Even if you got 8 hours of sleep in a day, it was never more than 3 hours at a time, and those progressive bits of sleep never made you feel rested. It has been the same with the sun this spring.  Yesterday on the news they announced that they are now predicting this will be the worst crop year for Saskatchewan in all the years they have been keeping track (including the dirty thirties). We'll see - it has definitely been depressing. On the upside, this weekend I felt like I have been "sleeping through the night" for the first time in 2 months, even with the gap in my mouth screaming at me.

I don't have my usual list of stuff in the yard I got done this weekend, as I mostly lay in the hammock. However, two days have sun is starting to give me hope for parts of my garden.  At this point, my bean and acorn squash crops are not there, although I have hope for my beans in the front yard.  My spinach is starting to recover, and my peppers are doing suprisingly well for all this rain. They are small and stunted, but flowering well. I have 4 surviving cucumbers and a living pumpkin, which I am augmenting with purchased bedding plants. I did the same with 5 tomatoes. The one thing that is doing well are the flowers, although they are still about 2 weeks behind. After another few days of sun, I will have so many types it will be amazing.

My whole family (and the rest of the city as far as I can tell) is feeling more perky too. As I write, Mike and Anwyn are out doing the 5 km fun run called the Bridge City Boogie and Leora is making french toast for breakfast. I am sitting on the deck squinting happily through the sunshine and gazing at my recovering yard.

2 comments:

  1. We had a good time, though it was a lot hotter than most of our training runs. Also, waaaayyyy more crowded. There were more than 5000 people participating

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should put the link to your photo of the Victoria team in the StarPhoenix.

    ReplyDelete