Monday, June 7, 2010

Deluge Continues

It was another rainy week last week - every day except one had rain. Luckily this weekend had a bit of sun in between the rain, and it was enough to make the weekend better.

On Saturday, Mike and the girls were out at Gale and Bob's for the morning and I dug up all the gout weed in the front bed. This was prompted by Mike commenting he really wanted the gout weed gone (I've wanted it gone for a while too). It has been invading the lawn, so it is a good thing that it has left. Here's a picture of the before on the left.

I'm pretty sad about the state of the garden. When Anna saw my tomatoes on Sunday, she thought they were pitiful (this was a generous assessment).  My beans have had a whole week and aren't up, although the peas and carrots are up. Anything that doesn't love flood and no sun hasn't shown its face.

On the upside, well-established perennials are doing well, especially my clematis and the prairie lilac. Currently blooming (see pictures of the yard in the start of June):

  • lily of the valley
  • purple geranium
  • orange poppies
  • johnny-jump-up
  • yellow iris
  • anemone
  • lilac
  • purple clematis
  • pink and white bleeding hearts
  • phlox
  • chives
Last year at this time, roses, strawberries, pumpkins, zucchini etc. were blooming right now (see early June post). This year all tea and hybrid roses have no leaves, all the gourds are squashes have died (even the cucumbers after 2 tries) and both my neighbours lost most their strawberry plants just like I did. Some of the roses I lost are 7 years old. Sniff - darn you deluge. On the upside, Mike and I are eating all the same things we were last year at this time.

I did have some lovely time relaxing in my hammock, got all my laundry dried on the line and went with my nephews and my family to a playground and pool. Those were great summer time things to do!

1 comment:

  1. Those sunny pictures tell a kind of truth--that any second there isn't rain, we are fanatically, desperately outside.

    ReplyDelete