Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Arches

This time of year, the yard is not all that pretty. The major cycles of blooming are done and the beauty of fall colours is still about 2 weeks away. I am still enjoying a number of annuals, especially sweet peas, but my favorite elements of my yard right now are forming arches of flowers.

It all started with my white Clematis, which blooms in late summer each year.  The girls have it climbing over their new fort, and the arch from the living wall to the fort roof is covered in tiny clusters of white flowers.  Those same flowers run up beside my front door, frame my fountain and cascade down the retaining wall in my front yard.

Unlike my Clematis, which just keeps extending each year, my Morning Glory are always in different places and different shapes. I have some of the best shapes ever this year.  Here are two of my favorite pictures:


Currently blooming:
  • squashes and gourds
  • sweet peas
  • sunflowers
  • yarrow
  • cone flower
  • flox
  • speedwell
  • stonecrop (a favorite fall bloomer of mine)
  • tomatoes and peppers (they don't know they are a week from last year's snow storm)
  • daisies
  • white clematis (just finishing)
  • orange lilies
  • orange and yellow roses.
Currently eating
  • beans (just finishing)
  • zucchini
  • tomatoes (all types)
  • peppers (all types)
  • spaghetti squash
  • pumpkins
  • all herbs
  • chard
  • fall spinach
  • cucumbers
  • carrots
  • kohlrabi
  • potatoes
  • beets

No comments:

Post a Comment