Saturday, August 27, 2011

Harvest

This morning my family went to Osler and I went out into my yard.  After an early morning grocery shop, I really felt like all I wanted to do was just sit around, but I ignored the feeling because I knew it wasn't a good one for me.  My friend Jodi does the same thing when she heads into her sewing room even though she doesn't want to.

I spent the morning picking produce in my garden, and pruning and picking in the front.  It was great.  I picked the following:
  • two ice cream pails tomatoes
  • two ice cream pails cucumbers
  • one large zuchinni
  • two kohlrabi (one purple, one regular)
  • 1 cup of strawberries
  • 8 sunflower heads, ready to dry
  • some fresh apples for nibbling
  • 9 corn on the cob
  • one ice cream pail of beans (purple, yellow and green)
Sounds like a good a good harvest, right?  It was, the best harvest was me. As I was pruning and watering,  I could feel by feelings of being tired and overwhelmed with all the summer craziness drain away.  After cooking for so many all summer, I felt like I'd never want to cook anything again, and now I am happily in my kitchen making Kashmiri potatoes, mango and pepper tofu and concord grapes for my lunch, and I'm delighted to be doing it.

Ah, time self in the yard.  Nothing like it to fill up this introvert after an exciting, people-filled summer and the first week of school.  This afternoon, I think I'll read a book and have a hot bath.

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't take long to recover from so many guests. If only we could have had a week in between each group. I could have handled it so much better.

    ReplyDelete