Sunday, March 6, 2011

Last of the Fresh Food

I just used the last of the fresh food from last year's garden - potatoes in Anwyn's favorite soup. I figured this was good time to do an inventory of what was left. Last year I did this inventory in February and used it to plan my garden. This time I will take it for posterity but not use it for planning, as the rain last year impacted the harvest so much that I can't make assumptions about how much I need to plant.

Frozen
  • spices like oregano, sage, parsley, and mint
  • 2 bags chili peppers
  • 9 cups apples
  • 16 cups saskatoons
  • 2 cups zucchini
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 10 cups pumpkin
  • 32 cups rhubarb
Freezing spices is a really great habit, and allows us to have the flavour of fresh spices all year without paying $3.00 for a sprig in the winter. This year I ran out of rosemary and basil, so I will get more of both next year. It looks like I was also short of raspberries despite picking my neighbor's berries. I am still in good shape for everything else.

Canned
  •  7 liters pickles
  •  3 liter jars of salsa
  •  12 small jars taco sauce
  •  5 250 ml jars plum jam
  •  5 250 ml jars apple honey
  •  4 250 ml jars pear jelly
  •  8 500 ml jars chutney
  •  3 250 ml jars raspberry jam
  •  4 250 ml jars of apple sauce 
Our most painful shortage this year will be salsa, and we knew it would be.  We made one double batch instead of the two we usually do because of the tomato blight. I also had no canned tomatoes, sauce or pizza sauce at all. Everything else is holding out well and should make it to the next harvest.

Dried 
  • 2pkg chili peppers
So far I don't dry much except spices and chili peppers.  I'd need to learn more to do more.


My first outdoor harvest is still 3 months away in June (asparagus, chives etc.) so I'll need to keep enjoying my indoor harvest for now.  This week I had sprouts and rocket (arugula).

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... We really need to move on that rhubarb, since it will be the first thing ready in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gus and I will take the rhubarb!

    I wouldn't mind the recipes you are using for your taco sauce and your chutney. I've slowly been learning what preserves Gus and I like to eat and which ones we just wind up giving away. Chutney was especially popular this year, but it was a vegetable chutney and as I recall you make a nice peach chutney. We have local peaches here, so it might be nice to do something with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll send you the recipes - I love the chutney.

    ReplyDelete