Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spring in my yard

It has been a cold spring, but things are finally humming along. Mike and I moved the plants out to the greenhouse and I have dug the mulch out all the beds. I am really excited about a number of the bulbs I have found coming up.

My asparagus came up yesterday (two stalks so far), and more and more garlic keeps coming up. In addition, all the fall bulbs I put in last year are humming along. I have tulips about an inch up in most beds and my Mom's daffodils are up, although they did not bloom last year. A number of grape hyacinths are up, although they are not budding.

Most of my seedlings are continuing to do well. We have a huge crop of garlic and I started some beans, beets and kohlrabi for my first square foot bed. I will start some corn tomorrow and then all my seeding is done.  I did almost no flowers this year except morning glory and nasturtium, but the veggies are great.

It is hard to believe we have about three weeks left until planting in the garden because I have so many projects in mind. I have tried to convince Mike we should put some things into the side bed early, but he seems doubtful. I want to dig out more of the front yard so that I can move one of the rhubarbs up there, and Mike has plans to get some rocks from James. It should be a busy, fun spring. I predict my first flowers will be chives, which are already budding.

This week Mike put up a second clothesline and I started drying things outside. It was great to dry to loads at once, and I have enough room now that I can do 4 loads totally in a day. I am so excited about all the possibilities in my yard.

1 comment: