Sunday, May 2, 2010

Finally green

Last week I was at Teela's helping out with the birth of her new baby girl, Viola. While we were waiting (Viola was a few days late), Teela's son Merlin and I did some potting in Teela's screened porch. I also got to see azaleas in bloom and Merlin and I walked through a beautiful botanical garden. All this green and the plus 25 degree weather had me hankering to garden.

It snowed in Saskatoon while I was gone, but it was only raining when I cam home, and the grass had finally greened up. A number of trees are budding and my perennials had grown while I was gone.

It continued to rain most of the week, but we handily avoided the blizzard that struck Calgary.


 By yesterday, I was gardening even if it was raining and windy. I have good rain pants and a sold rain jacket, so I headed out into the yard and weeded my flower beds.
While I was there, I discovered so many exciting spring things. My asparagus is up and we'll get to eat it soon. The spinach and chard I planted in one of the square foot beds have also sprouted and I ate some of the spinach in the greenhouse. there is so much of it that I am putting it on the menu this week. My chives are starting to bud and I ate one.

All this weeding encouraged me to do some potting and seeding today. I seeded all the gourds and squashes (about 5 days later than I would have liked, but oh well). I also re potted cucumbers, artichokes and tomatoes. Some of my peppers are even flowering, so Mike fertilized the flowers by hand. Even though it was a high of nine and it rained of and on, I felt great.

Mike put some covers on a few of my beds so what I can get them really growing quickly, and I planted the astible and some lilies. I still have a few in the greenhouse and they are getting ready to flower, so I am hoping for some sun!

1 comment:

  1. O.K. I'm sorry! I wanted to plant the pumpkins while you were away, but I just never quite got to it.

    Also, for the record, I think our spinach is still a bit on the under developed side to start picking from it. But I would never say so in public :)

    ReplyDelete